New Host Discussion (split from Grod's topic)

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Re: New Host Discussion (split from Grod's topic)

Post by Kastro187420 on Fri Jun 06, 2008 9:51 pm

Is this a free host? If so, I would suggest moving to www.invisionfree.com and use their boards for free. I've always used them, and they're really customizable, and are easy to use.

Kastro187420

Male Number of posts : 3
Registration date : 2008-06-06

View user profile http://www.myspace.com/kastro187420

Back to top Go down

Post by Kromoh on Sat Jun 07, 2008 10:43 am

Well, if you guys wanna go for it, I could change. Maybe I'll make a poll for it. It'd probably mean starting from zero, though.

Administrator

Male Number of posts : 143
Registration date : 2008-05-30

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Kastro187420 on Sat Jun 07, 2008 10:53 am

Well, its up to you guys, I just kinda popped in here... I just like its customizability over phpbb, and I'm much more familiar with it. I just think if it was going to happen, it should happen while the community is small and theres less to move.

Kastro187420

Back to top Go down

Post by Kromoh on Sat Jun 07, 2008 11:14 am

I chose phpbb for the adlessness and for the simpliest admin cp ever. Plus, forumotion itself has domain name as a paid feature, or DNS access from your own domain.

This is the admin cp:

Administrator

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Kromoh on Sat Jun 07, 2008 11:34 am

Alright, after comparison, If I'm going to change the forum structure at all, it'll be to SMF. I know that could get us into (more) unwanted trouble with MM, but it's the only think I'd choose over phpbb.

Administrator

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Kastro187420 on Sat Jun 07, 2008 11:38 am

Well, this is just personal experience, but I find the Admin Panel in IvisionFree to be really simple. And Actually, though I haven't looked in a while, I believe IvisionFree has those same options available, though I'd have to recheck to be sure.

Lol, well, the website I help co-admin has been using SMF for about a year now. We actually moved from phpbb to SMF too. but we went from vB to phpBB too, so we've kinda been downstepping.

SMF does seem to have a bit more in customizability though compared to phpbb, so if you do switch, its not a bad choice.

Just for comparison purposes, for those who might not know what the SMF Admin center looks like, this is ours on my site:

http://img367.imageshack.us/img367/3353/smfadminms5.png <-- Click that link for a larger picture

Last edited by Kastro187420 on Sat Jun 07, 2008 11:50 am; edited 3 times in total (Reason for editing : Added picture)

Kastro187420

Back to top Go down

Post by Kromoh on Sat Jun 07, 2008 2:39 pm

Yeah I've had the pleasure of being a one-day SMF admin before. It's not bad at all. But Invision's (at least the version I've tried) and vB both suck.

Administrator

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by C911 on Sat Jun 07, 2008 5:27 pm

but... but... if we change forums... my post count will go down to 0 again T_T
C911

Registration date : 2008-06-04

View user profile http://www.myspace.com/motoxdude961

Back to top Go down

Post by Kromoh on Sat Jun 07, 2008 5:33 pm

Lol I'd either find a way to move the stuff we got, or personally edit your post count myself xD

Administrator

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by C911 on Sat Jun 07, 2008 5:35 pm

Phew, ok. Then i am fine with a change. Although, when i was back in my motocross gaming days, all the forums were phpbb, and they did some really cool stuff. But i have no idea how to run it, so i cant contribute to that.
C911

Back to top Go down

Post by Kromoh on Sat Jun 07, 2008 5:44 pm

Well, the difference is not phpbb, the difference is a free forum hoster. Not that flexible you know.

I've got a few cards to play with, though. You wait and see how well I play strip oker.

Administrator

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by C911 on Sat Jun 07, 2008 5:47 pm

Poker*

And ah, yeah good point. Probably not my place to ask, but how much does phpbb cost to run?
C911

Back to top Go down

Post by Man of Steel on Sun Jun 08, 2008 5:30 pm

I'd say SMF would be great. Definitely would be the way to go, I prefer it over Invision for sure. And quite frankly, after a little research, it'd make skinning the forum a hell of a lot easier, because SMF lets you directly edit the CSS.

Unfortunately, the only free SMF hosts I can find have ads, but they do let you get/buy ad-free credits. What we might think about, though, is going with paid hosting and installing SMF ourselves. I've found capable paid hosting for less that $5 a month. You guys think we could scrape together about $50 in donations to run this place for a year? That would include a domain name.

It is looking more and more like this place is going to be needed, if nothing else than as a DV lifeboat for a bit. That means we need to get it going good sooner rather than later, and get this sorted out soon. I'd be more than happy to set up everything, then turn the main administrating over to Kromoh. I've got to go for now, but I'll be on later tonight. Maybe Kromoh and I can talk on MSN and work some things out.

Administrator
Administrator

Male Number of posts : 28
Registration date : 2008-06-02

View user profile http://www.joshuablackwood.com/

Back to top Go down

Post by Kromoh on Sun Jun 08, 2008 5:57 pm

MoS, I thought of uniting forces with Ynot for that. Yes, I do believe setting a paid-host SMF ourselevs would be better. GoDaddy offers great prices. I just think we should check the availability of lunarlight.com fist, if not change the forum's name.

Ynot had already done something about a lifeboat DV, so that's why I messaged him. MoS, I'd be more than willing to work on cooperation with you.

--------------------------

I've thought of a few possible name changes, should lunarlight.com's owner stay silent. Keep in mind these are suggestions only. Also, I wanted to keep the LL acronym.

Lunar Legacy
Lunar Legend
Lunar Lilac
Lunar Lush
Lunar Lotus

Administrator

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Man of Steel on Sun Jun 08, 2008 10:29 pm

Oh really? What does Ynot have going?

EDIT: I think I've found us a web host. TMDHosting offers an amazing deal of 800GB storage space, 8,000GB bandwidth per month, unlimited MySQL databases and storage (important, as SMF stores all posts in MySQL as I understand it (could be wrong about that, though)), and everything else needed, along with the latest cPanel, which is awesome. What's more, though, is that they are specially equipped for hosting forums. They have built-in installation scripts for SMF and several other forums and content management systems, via Fantastico, which is awesome. All this and a ton more technical stuff that I won't go into, for $4.99 a month.

I talked one-on-one with a technician just a few minutes ago in a live chat, and he was extremely helpful and responded quickly (if you like, I can post the chat transcript). I asked him about some particulars, made sure I had the right of some things, etc. and got some answers to stuff that wasn't listed on the features list. I told him what we were wanting to do here, and asked if the package would support it and how well, and he assured me that what they provide would be far and above what we require. Also, we get a free domain registration with our` account, as well as an additional account with the same features. They're running a Spring Special it seems, a buy one get one free deal.

So a year's hosting would cost us $59.88. I'm not sure how we want to handle that, but I've got the money to go ahead and do it, if a few of you could donate a few dollars here and there to partially reimburse me. I'm saving up to get a new camera and accessories, or I'd swing it all myself. I can, however, cover at least a third of it, if not half.

The downside is we will probably have to start from scratch if we do this. We MIGHT be able to convert seamlessly, but probably only if we can gain access to the MySQL database this forum uses, which is doubtful. We could email Forumotion and ask about it, though. As small as we are at the moment, though that shouldn't be too big of an issue, and it will definitely be worth it for the freedom the new software and host will give us.

----------------------

I can't say that any of those names really jump out at me, honestly. Lunar Lotus, maybe, but it just doesn't have that ring to it. What about something with 'Lucid' in the name?

Lucid Light
Lunar Lucids
Lunar Lucidity
Lucid Lunatics (kidding...)
Lucid Lair
Lucid Lullaby
Lunar Lullabies
Light of Lucidity
Lunar Literation

Okay, so I'm not so good with names... Razz

Administrator
Administrator

Back to top Go down

Post by AspiR on Mon Jun 09, 2008 2:05 am

Lucid Lesbians.

Had to...
AspiR

Number of posts : 7

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Xox on Mon Jun 09, 2008 2:06 am

I love Lunar Lucidity.

And Lunatics. Very Happy

Female Number of posts : 56
Registration date : 2008-05-31

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by ClouD on Mon Jun 09, 2008 4:36 am

I like the idea of SMF...

CSS editing is like broken abstinence.
Feels real good.
ClouD

Male Number of posts : 54

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Kromoh on Mon Jun 09, 2008 9:31 am

MoS, after all that I can only give you my thumbs up for being so proactive.

What I mean by Ynot is that he wanted to make a DV lifeboat, technically a flawless copy of DV, at dream-views.com. I've been told he was looking forward to it, but it didn't work out right in the end.

Concerning the names, lets try to brainstorm a bit..

Lucid Lunar
Lunar Lucidity
Lunar Lumina (eew?)
Lunar Lux

We might as well come up with a name of other acronym, but I just wanted LL for it fits so well with MM.

I'll try and convince my dad to set me with a few pennies on my paypal account. I'm underage lol. Can't guarantee a thing, but I'll try.

Btw, broken abstinence rules.

Administrator

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Man of Steel on Mon Jun 09, 2008 4:15 pm

Kromoh wrote:MoS, after all that I can only give you my thumbs up for being so proactive.

What I mean by Ynot is that he wanted to make a DV lifeboat, technically a flawless copy of DV, at dream-views.com. I've been told he was looking forward to it, but it didn't work out right in the end.

Concerning the names, lets try to brainstorm a bit..

Lucid Lunar
Lunar Lucidity
Lunar Lumina (eew?)
Lunar Lux

We might as well come up with a name of other acronym, but I just wanted LL for it fits so well with MM.

I'll try and convince my dad to set me with a few pennies on my paypal account. I'm underage lol. Can't guarantee a thing, but I'll try.

Btw, broken abstinence rules.

Hmm, I can't imagine that that would really be a great idea on his part, honestly. I could definitely see that causing some trouble.

Anyway, I've split this discussion off, so as to make it a bit more organized, (hope you don't mind) and I'll create us a brainstorming thread for the new name in a second here.

As soon as we get a name decided upon, and make sure it's available, I'll go ahead and get things moving. My plan is this, and let me know if you're in agreement or not, I'm definitely open to change: set up a site, most likely with TMDHosting, register our domain, install SMF, manually transfer as many posts as makes sense (the tutorials, etc. mostly), if we can't convert (I'm going to ask TMDHosting about that, they may be able to help us out on that front), set up a subdomain and install SMF there as well, for a testing ground to try stuff out before implementation on the main site, set up a chat, and work with ClouD on graphic design and CSS styling, if he is willing.

Do you folks really think this will get off the ground well enough to be worth this? I'm game, obviously, just want to make sure we're not going to get all this set up only to find that every body would rather stick with DV or just go to MM. I think what we're trying to do here is significantly different from MM though, in that we aim to provide a full range of off-topic boards as well as lucid dreaming discussion, something far less focused than MM and more open to the Senseless Banter folks that may not necessarily be sticking around DV for the LDing anymore, but more the conversation. We'll be providing more of what DV did, until the recent problems.

Quite frankly, I am rethinking my plan to rough it out at DV until the absolute end. I don't have the time to remain committed there, at MM, and help manage this new forum too. So there we are. I'm off to create that name brainstorming topic, then go cook me some supper.

Administrator
Administrator

Back to top Go down

Post by Kromoh on Mon Jun 09, 2008 4:30 pm

Splitting the topic was a perfect idea.

Well, I think what would help the forum take off is that there's been no such thing with the aim we have before. I'm pretty sure the forum *can't* simply die out, not if we motivate people to come frequently. And that inclue members who've already registered.

I myself would be willing to take charge of things, MoS, so you wouldn't have to stress to much over it. You'd still be a full-blown admin though.

Have to talk to my parents about the money still.

Administrator

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Grod on Mon Jun 09, 2008 6:45 pm

Yeah, I agree with MoS about the difference between this place and Mortal Mist.

I see this as being fully different than MM. A more relaxed place I guess, open to other kinds of stuff than just lucidity, more of a community and not just a place for a hobby.
Grod

Male Number of posts : 32

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Xox on Tue Jun 10, 2008 6:54 pm

Yes, I agree with Grod + Mos. I think this site is going to be more appealing, considering most of the DV community wasn't into LDing all that much. I myself am very serious about this, and am willing to work hard to get this rolling.

We need organized tasks in the staff board, hmm..

Female Number of posts : 56

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top